Jul 4, 2009

Goodbye To SQL

I haven't had to write a single SQL query, and I don't plan to. Good frameworks will take care of all of this for you. In the .NET world, Linq To Sql abstracts away SQL calls. CakePHP also includes very powerful tools to perform CRUD operations on database tables. Creating relationships between tables is extremely easy as well. Find and save operations automatically look for associated data (although you can limit this recursively). It's so so nice.

Never ever try to develop a web app without a framework!

I fixed a few minor bugs yesterday. The first field of each form automatically receives focus now. Kind of a nice feature. Also the menu links are working so I don't have to type URLs every time I want to see a page.

Next week, I'll work on permissions, and then I'll be working on deploying to a server to start user acceptance testing. I plan on doing iterative private beta releases so I can get feedback early. I'll also start a blog and some sort of feedback mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment