Jun 21, 2010

AP Computer Science Teacher Training, Round Two

My proposed AP Computer Science course is a go for next school year. We had 48 students register for it, and we had to reduce that number to 35 due to space constraints. I'm in Northfield this week for teacher training. The instructor has some great ideas on how to teach Java. One controversy in the field is whether to teach procedural programming first or to dive right into OOP from the start. I plan on using the latter method for my course next year.

My favorite part about AP training is getting to spend a week in a beautiful little college town away from the Twin Cities where I live. We get out of class at 5:30 every day, so I have each evening to just enjoy the area.

One of my goals while I'm here is to finalize the syllabus and submit it to the College Board for AP approval.

I was contacted by a recruiter today about an opening for a Software Engineer. The position would be a very significant pay increase over what I'm doing now (teaching in the public school system), but I decided and maintain that teaching is the path I want to pursue. The summers off are really great, and they give me some time to explore independent interests. I'd take that (and other benefits of teaching) over a big salary any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment