Aug 11, 2010

Bug Tracking with FogBugz

Notepad worked great for the beginning stages of my project, but now my task list is getting more complex. I have a mixture of features and bugs, nice-to-haves and must-haves. A bug tracking tool allows you to see all kinds of stuff, including an estimated completion date for your project.

Over the past few years, I've tried several solutions, including BugZilla (yuk), Mantis (typical open source clunky), and OnTime (difficult to install and bulky). I never tried FogBugz until this week. I recently became aware of the fact that they offer a free license for single developers.

I'm using their hosted solution. At first I was unimpressed. The GUI didn't look very polished, and at first glance it was nothing more than a slow spreadsheet. But then I was able to start digging in to some of the features, and now I'm sold. I especially like the milestone reports, which incorporate evidence based scheduling.

No comments:

Post a Comment