Nov 1, 2010

FogBugz World Tour

Last Thursday, I had a chance to see Joel Spolsky at his Minneapolis stop on the FogBugz World Tour. I’ve been following Joel’s blog and businesses for the last ten years, and it was cool to see him speak in person. He was in town to pitch the latest version of his FogBugz and Kiln software.

I’ve been using FogBugz as a bug tracking and project management tool for the last six months, and I really like it. Luckily, I can get a free license as a one-person startup. Past that, it gets quite expensive. That shouldn’t be a problem, however, as I don’t ever anticipate adding employees.

I’ve been considering using distributed version control for a while. For development teams, there are no questions about its superiority to traditional version control systems. But I haven’t found a real need for any type of VCS yet. I keep daily backups of all of my projects, so I can go back in history to whenever I want.

The one thing that does get a bit more complicated is when I’ll have different versions of the codebase – one for dev and one for production. The branching capabilities of Mercurial would definitely help me out there, but I’m not sure it’s worth the half day investment it would take to configure and learn it. I’m pretty focused on my ship date at the moment, and this is one of those things that I feel can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment