Jun 15, 2009

Subversion and ACL

Subversion
Today, I got Subversion installed and configured on my system. The server software is pretty easy to use. I tried using the Subclipse plugin for Eclipse as my client software, but it was giving me a fatal error. I did some reserch, and getting it to work with my version of Apache would have required some additional configuration which I didn't really want to get into.

Then I downloaded Rapid SVN. I love it. I did some experimenting with Subversion and I have to say it's almost like magic being able to see any version of any file you've ever had. I fired up my Mozy automatic backups again today to get my stuff off to a remote server.

ACL
I've settled on CakePHP for my framework, and it comes with support for Access Control Lists. I knew right from the start that I wanted role-based security in my application, and the Cake ACL implementation seemed like a good choice. After doing some analysis, though, I realized that the permissions in my application get a bit more complicated than simple yes/no values for accessing methods. Controls on my UI pages will have different visibility, populations, and defaults depending on what type of user is logged in.

So, I'm scrapping the built-in Cake ACL and rolling my own. For a while, I considered writing security verification for each individual function, but I really want to keep the security role-based.

I'm sure this doesn't make sense to anyone but me. But anyway that's how I've spent my day so far. I still have a few hours left and plenty of stuff to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment