Aug 6, 2010

Quality Assurance: Unit and Process Testing

I really wish I had a full time QA staff. I've been running through and revising my test cases for the Member Profile page today. I think I'm still on track to finish by end of day Saturday. I was a software tester for two years so I remember this type of work really well. Testing all kinds of weird combinations that no one would think of.

The one advantage of testing my own software is that I can take a very white box approach and look at the code (even fix the code) when something goes wrong. That's very nice.

I do unit testing as I go – I unit test each function as I write it. I'm now testing all combinations of permissions, requests, and contexts. In the front of my mind this whole time is the concept of process testing. How would a real user actually interact with the software? Sometimes when you're deep in the rabbit hole of coding and testing, you can lose sight of the big picture.

It's really cool seeing the progress I'm making on the app so far. I'm doing a better job of documenting at least some of my use cases and test cases than I did for my desktop app. This will be a benefit when it comes time to write the user documentation.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment