Jun 17, 2009

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Subversion was more headache than it was worth:

You have to use Subversion to add files to or delete files from your project. For each file you add, you must manually add it to your subversion repository. There is no function for automatically adding all new files. You can't delete or rename files directly with the operating system; you must use Subversion. Human errors with this have already caused more problems than what version control can solve.

I'm going back to my daily backups method for version control.

The Subversion binaries that I installed automatically installed a second copy of Apache on my system. I already have Apache and the two instances weren't playing nice with each other. They were causing each other to crash. I was trying to develop a web app with crashy web servers.

Subversion also slowed down my file system a lot and added mysterious system folders to every directory within my project.

I uninstalled Subversion, uninstalled XAMPP, and upgraded to a new version of XAMPP. I'm getting CakePHP errors now when I run my application on top of my new XAMPP installation.

Today has been 90% sysadmin work and virtually no development work. I won't have a lot of time to work on this tomorrow either.

No comments:

Post a Comment