Jun 25, 2009

Spreadinh The Word

At the AP teacher training, I started spreading the word about my product. I knew a few of the advisors (read: future users of my product) there and mentioned to them what I've been working on. The reaction was overwhelmingly positive. "Wow, that would be awesome!" was the reply. I brought up the idea of a web-based registration system at some of the conference last winter, and everyone thought it would make things much easier.

I've been thinking a lot about my marketing and release strategy. What I don't want to do is spring a released product on everyone as a surprise. Consistent with the agile approach, I'd like the users of the system to give me feedback as I develop it. To accomplish that, I'll be inviting certain people to beta test the minor releases this summer. I'll also be talking to the state advisor about the product and getting feedback from her. I hope to speak at a teacher's conference next fall as well.

Originally I thought that the first year would be a beta test only, but I've changed my mind. I want to be making revenue starting this year, but I'll limit the release to my state only. I'll require conference organizers to pay for the software, but offer an unconditional money back guarantee. I've been in the software industry for about a decade and I know that this is a good approach based on my own experience and that of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment