Jun 13, 2010

Time Tracking Software For Summer

The school year ended on Friday which means that I have 75 days until I start teaching again. I plan 400-600 hours for my new software project. The summer will see a number of false starts, however:
- A vacation Monday and Tuesday this week
- AP Computer Science teacher training Monday through Thursday next week
- A vacation the first week of July
- A trip to the Southwest the last two weeks in July
- Teacher orientation on August 10th
- Begin working again on August 24th.

In addition to my software project, there a number of other projects I must complete this summer:
- Write a book (I'm still sort of in stealth mode on this project)
- Write the curriculum for my new AP Computer Science courses
- Write the curriculum for two new college level courses I will be teaching next fall.

Due to all of the above, I've pushed out the expected release date of my software project until November. It's possible that I may be taking some graduate level computer science courses next school year as well, which will use some time. They'll be interesting, though, and I'm looking forward to taking them.

So the summer will definitely be very busy. Accomplishing all of this will require great time management skills. It'll be important to establish a routine early like I did last summer, consisting of 8 hours per day of work, 2 hours per day of exercise, and sufficient time for rest and relaxation, without which creative work will suffer.

I recently installed the free Grindstone time tracking software, and I really like it so far. It will be cool to have an accurate record of how my time was actually spent, versus just how I think my time was spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment